[Python-Dev] Patch submitted for cross-platform newline support

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 15:12:38 +0100

Recently, "Tim Peters" <tim@zope.com> said:
> Radical idea:  don't do anything to turn on "universal newlines" -- say it's
> just what "text mode" means in Python.  Then you only have to worry about
> picking a letter to turn it off <wink>.

This is how I started. But I changed it because a file in universal
newline input mode is going to be slower than in normal text input
mode. Especially when I looked at the code for doing readline() on
Windows to squeeze out the last few nanoseconds I thought that this
should probably be an option, not the default.
www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm