[Python-Dev] Re: 2.1.2: patching Modules/

Fri, 02 Nov 2001 12:37:18 +1100

>>> Martin von Loewis wrote
> [\n\ -> \n" conversion]
> > Did these actually fix anything?
> So I guess the answer is: "yes, it makes Tim's editor happy" :-) Apart
> from that, it apparently didn't fix any further problems.

Fair nuff. I'm not completely up on the various intricacies of various
bizarro C compilers so I thought I'd check.

> Indeed. Furthermore, applications (including distutils) may rely on
> knowing the name of the config.h; those would break with the change.

Excellent point.

> > [zlib fix]
> I don't think this qualifies as a "bug fix". It fixes a problem, yes,
> but applications have to be changed to make use of the feature.

And unlike the sendall() fix, there's no sections of the std library
triggering the bug.

> Why can't you use the patch as-is? It would apply without problems, if
> generation0 hadn't been renamed to _PyGC_generation0.

Minor additional tweaks (making stuff global), but this is now in.

> If "didn't build before, does now" also is a candidate for inclusion,
> I think you could more or less use _cursesmodule.c as-is. If you only
> want fixes for systems on which it already worked, it will be more
> difficult.

This issue is one of "not stopping it building where it did before..."
I'm just going to wander through it and check for nasties...

Anthony