[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Python ceval.c,2.287,2.288

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:43:56 +0100

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> [Followups redirected to python-dev... -BAW]

>     | Modified Files:
>     |   ceval.c
>     | Log Message:
>     | Add fast-path for comparing interned (true) string objects.
>
>     MAL> This patch boosts performance for comparing identical string
>     MAL> object by some 20% on my machine while not causing any
>     MAL> noticable slow-down for other operations (according to tests
>     MAL> done with pybench).

>     JH> Hey!  Don't do that.
>
> I had a similar reaction! :)

Sorry about that.

>     JH> The last time this came up, I thought there was a pretty clear
>     JH> conclusion that we did not want to make thise change.
>
> Tim's objection is here:
>
>     http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2001-October/018274.html
>
> Since there isn't concensus, I don't think it should go into Python
> 2.2 at this late date.

Ok.

Even though I can't really understand why nobody seems to be
doing any benchmarking... all the talk has been theoretical
except for Martin who posted usage numbers (not timings). I did
run benchmark tests and checked in the patch only because I didn't
find any significant change in performance for code not
triggering the fast path.

Well, perhaps we can look into this again for 2.3. I believe that
some Python applications could benefit from this kind of small
enhancement (also see the other thread "switch programming in
Python").

> Please back this one out MAL!

Done.

Sorry guys,