[Python-Dev] Python's footprint

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:53:14 -0200

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 11:17:15PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Greg Ward wrote:
> > On 08 November 2001, Gustavo Niemeyer said:
> > > wondering if something like a DOCSTRING("foo") macro would be valid in
> > > that case. If the user disabled it trough --disable-doc, for example,
> > > DOCSTRING() would return "".
> >=20
> > I think it would have to be a bit fancier than that; wouldn't you also
> > have to specify the name of the C identifier into which that
> > documentation is put?  That's doable in an all-ANSI-C world, but
> > trickier than DOCSTRING("foo").

What I had in mind would be something like:

static char module_doc[] =3D DOCSTRING("module documentation");

And do something like:

#if Py_INLINE_DOCS
#define DOCSTRING(x) x
#else
#define DOCSTRING(x) ""
#endif

> > Anyways, that sounds like a useful idea.  It would probably be a big
> > patch that touches lots of files, so it's unlikely to get into Python
> > 2.2.  You might consider whipping up a patch now to get it under
> > consideration early in 2.3's life-cycle.

Indeed, it would touch lots of files. On the other hand, changes
introduced by the patch would be very trivial and shouldn't affect
python's stability at all.

> Even better: why not work together with Martin to have the doc-strings
> localized ?! (One of the possible languages could then be the emtpy
> one ;-)

I could work with Martin on that, for sure. But this fact doesn't change
the need for DOCSTRING(). I18n usually keeps the default version of the
string in the object to ensure that something is shown, even if you
don't have any i18n files at all.

Best regards!

--=20
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu--