[Python-Dev] Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2001 18:06:48 -0500

Prabhu wrote:

[Just singling out one section, since I've said plenty on this
subject at other points in these threads]

[Prabhu works on knee.py]

> it also fixes a bug where the parent package is an extension
> module.

Python provides no support for an extension module being a
package parent module. More precisely, I think the fact that
an extension module can be made to behave like a package
parent module is an accident. There is special code in import
for modules named __init__, and the code is bypassed for
extension modules.

I suspect you'd have to provide a pretty strong justification
before this would become supported behavior.

- Gordon