[Python-Dev] Replacing __slots__ with addmembers()

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 14:44:11 -0500

[Michael McLay]
> I hope the feature freeze won't rule out the patch for 2.2.

That's up to the Release Manager (Barry this time), but I expect the
introduction of a type-check gimmick alone leaves it no chance (that's a new
direction for Python, so is PEP material unless Guido loves it intensely at
once).

> My concern is that if __slots__ isn't fixed prior to releasing 2.2 we'll
> be stuck with the rather limited and ugly syntax Guido cooked up to
> test the capabilities of member descriptors.

I expect we will.  Ditto __metatype__, long-winded super(), function-based
property "declarations", and all the other new stuff.  We're aiming for
progress with the new features, not perfection <wink>.

> I'll be at an out of town meeting until next Saturday and I'm not sure
> if I'll have Internet access.

The last 2.2 beta should be released before your return.