[Python-Dev] PyObject_GenericGetAttr vs cygwin

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 22:21:30 -0500

Michael,

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 05:23:39AM -0500, Michael Hudson wrote:
> Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> writes:
> > If they are just the standard "PyObject_HEAD_INIT(NULL)" style fix, then
> > please just commit them.
>
> Done.

Thanks.

> > > BTW, _cursesmodule.c doesn't compile; you get things like:
> > >
> > > Warning: resolving _stdscr by linking to __imp__stdscr (auto-import)
> > > [snip]
> > > build/temp.cygwin-1.3.3-i686-2.2/_cursesmodule.o: In function `PyCurses_InitScr':
> > > /cygdrive/c/src/python/dist/src/Modules/_cursesmodule.c:1842: undefined reference to `acs_map'
> > > [snip]

I'm investigating a patch from Norman Vine right now.  I will try to
submit it or a variation of it to the patch collector ASAP -- hopefully,
in time for beta 2.

> > There is still one known Cygwin pthreads hang.  If interested, see the
> > following for the current state of affairs:
> >
> >    http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2001-10/msg00193.html
>
> makes little sense to me, I'm afraid.  Haven't had test_thread die on
> me yet, but then I've only run it a few times.

Cygwin Python with threads seems to work for others too (without hangs).
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective), it hangs
fairly often on my main Windows machine.

> > > test_strftime is still bust, though:
> >
> > The test_strftime problem was fixed by:
> >
> >     http://sources.redhat.com/ml/newlib/2001/msg00504.html
> >
> > and released in Cygwin 1.3.4.
>
> ... but if test_poll works, how come this doesn't?

The only explanation that I can come up with is that you are using a
snapshot that has the poll fix but not the strftime one.  If you are still
using the stock 1.3.3, then I'm at a loss to explain your observations.

> How do I find out which version of cygwin I have?

Just like on Unix:

    $ uname -a
    CYGWIN_NT-5.0 ALTHEA 1.3.4(0.46/3/2) 2001-10-26 21:17 i686 unknown

Thanks,
Jason