[Python-Dev] RE: test_file failing on Windows

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:55:11 +0100

> > Same here with CodeWarrior on the Mac: stdio errors return NULL or -1
> > and that is it, errno isn't touched, not even for fopen() file not
> > found, etc.
>
> MS does set errno in most cases; the failure to set it for bad fopen() mode
> strings appears to be a bug in their code.
>
> > If the ANSI standard requires errno to be set and people can point me
> > to the right section I can submit an error report...
>
> No such luck, Jack:  errno has always been mostly folklore in the C std, and
> is almost pure folklore in C99.

Ah. Then, shouldn't we have an option WITHOUT_STDIO_ERRNO or somesuch, and
ignore the errno values if it is defined? "Cannot open file" doesn't say much,
but it's better than "Errno 0". If I'm right in guessing that configure is
only used on unix (am I?) then adding support for this option to configure
isn't needed, I guess.

www.cwi.nl/~jack        | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm