[Python-Dev] Replacing __slots__ with addmembers()

Michel Pelletier michel@zope.com
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:21:01 -0800

Michael McLay wrote:

> Tim suggested that the type checking feature might be enough to get the
> patch rejected.  For the moment let's assume I had not added that
> feature.

Given this assumption, i like your patch and the spelling and think it
is reasonable.

Without the assumption, I would suggest you throw down some details on
the types-sig list.  Lots of folks have ideas and its a rather hot topic
for some (but the discussion has always been very civil!).

I for one, would like to revive the type checking discussion because
it's a sticky problem that needs to be solved.  So far, there have been
a few different proposed solutions.  PaulP proposed and implemented a
prototype that did flexible type checking.  I proposed (PEP 245) an
interface syntax that is somewhat orthogonal to that.  Clark Evans also
talks about type checking in PEP 246.

> The patch does still makes adding member_descriptors more consistent
> with
> the syntax used to add properties.

I agree.

-Michel