[Python-Dev] Replacing __slots__ with addmembers()

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:33:46 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Michael McLay]
> > I hope Python Labs doesn't rush Python 2.2 out early just to meet an
> > artificial schedule.
>
> Given the effort that goes into making them up, there's nothing artificial
> about them <wink>.
>
> > MAL's concerns about cluttering Python with several variations for
> > spelling the same kind of feature is shared by me.
>
> It seemed to me MAL was worried about something else, namely not having to
> redo the guts of his provisions for user subclassing of sundry mx objects
> (coded in C).

Right and as far as I understood your posting, there's nothing
to worry about (which is good :-).

OTOH, I would also like to use some of the new features for new
code I write in Python and there things still look a lot less
stable, which I find unfortunate. May be FUD and indeed I hope it
is...

Perhaps Guido should just write up a short list of features
which he considers stable and another list of features which may
still change in future Python releases. I suppose .__slots__
is one of the latter. Adding static class methods and the like
probably too.

While #ifdefs are easy in C, they're a nightmare in Python and
I wouldn't want to start coding in an interface-driver
pattern just to make Python code portable between releases (hey,
I still support Python 1.5.2 for much of my stuff...).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH