[Python-Dev] Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.

Prabhu Ramachandran Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu@cyberwaveindia.com>
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 23:37:24 +0530

[on the suggested package import improvements]

    BAW> I'm not wholly unsympathetic to the problem, but I'm trying
    BAW> to give some pushback because of just the reason Michel
    BAW> gives.  Even though I can think of my own cool uses of an
    BAW> "acquisitional import", I think Python should be really
    BAW> careful here.  One of the deep problems with implicit
    BAW> acquisition is that you often don't know where something
    BAW> really comes from.  I'm worried that building this into the
    BAW> import mechanism will make it harder to figure out where
    BAW> something comes from.  Explicit is better than implicit.

    BAW> But having said all that, it's clear to me that we've mined
    BAW> this vein enough on the list.  It's PEP time!

Great!  I'm very happy and thankful that you folks have been so
patient with me and are listening to this stuff.

I have a few other things to wind up this week, so I'll try starting
to write the PEP this weekend.  I'll first run it by Eric and maybe
pester Gordon a bit before I pass it on to the experts.

Thanks again!

prabhu