[Python-Dev] reload() et al. (Re: [Import-sig] Re: Proposal for a modified import mechanism.)

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:22:21 +0100

> > > I don't see "enhanced reloading" as a way to modify long running processes, but
> > > a way to shorten the development cycle.
> >
> > That's exactly what I had in mind.
> >
> > More and more I hear complaints from people, that even a C++ program
> > can be changed while running in the debugger (under certain circumstances),
> > so why not Python?
>
> The same is possible in Python's pdb, BTW. Anyway, my reply was
> more targetted in the direction of: "ok, this is nice to have as a
> hack during development, but doesn't solve any longstanding problems
> like e.g. unloading of modules". It's still a cool module -- perhaps
> you could also make it work for complete packages ?!

I didn't explicitely code something to prevent packages ;-),
but there's a bug in it (also in the version I posted to c.l.p,
where the discussion probably should continue).

Thanks,

Thomas