[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-Dev]mysnprintf broken

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:09:05 +0100

> > Looks like the time machine is at work again: the version we use *is*
> > a free snprintf implementation.

> Are we looking at the same mysnprintf? ... That doesn't look safe to me

Definitely, on both accounts. I was not claiming that it was safe; I
was only claiming it was free, and that it was snprintf
implementation.

To re-iterate my points:
- if you think it is bad enough to deserve attention, propose
  a specific replacement; that will then need careful inspection
- Given that there are three callers of this snprintf, and
  Given that two of them are guaranteed to never overrun the buffer, and
  Given that the third one will do so only under obscure circumstances, and
  Given that Python will terminate under these circumstances, rather than
  silently operating with wrong data,
  I conclude that this doesn't deserve attention.

Regards,
Martin