[Python-Dev] Re: Change to sys.path[0] for Python 2.3

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:43:04 -0500

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> It's not clear to me what this patch would do, so I disagree.

You are right.  I wasn't clear enough.  Everyone please
vote on the following:

1) JimA writes import documentation and adds it to the
   current docs (where are they?) or in a new section
   (where should it go?).

2) The addition of sys.path[0] is changed to an earlier
   time so it occurs before any imports; so sys.path[0]
   works the same as sys.path[1:].  Currently it is added
   after some imports have occurred.

3) sys.path[0] is documented as the directory of the Python
   script and is an absolute path.  In particular, "" is
   replaced with getcwd() (or equivalent for all supported OS's).

   So far, I have "+1", "True" and "Unimplementable in general"
   in the voting for item 3.

4) For the "-c" option, sys.argv[0] is getcwd() instead of "".

JimA