[Python-Dev] What's a PyStructSequence ?

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:51:46 +0100

> The discussion on SF doesn't really answer my question. What
> Nick did is fascinating: he reused the type object implementation
> to mimic a sequence ! That's cool, but looks like an awfully
> tricky way of doing something straight forward such as sub-classing
> the tuple type to extend it with an additional dictionary.
> So the question remains: why did Nick *have* to implement this
> as meta-type ?

For one thing, you'll see from the discussion that extending the tuple
type with an additional dict is non-trivial: You cannot define a C
data type that does this. You'll also see that there was a version
that did it, and that it was rejected precisely because of this problem.

Regards,
Martin