[Python-Dev] -DINET6 in Makefile

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:22:24 +0100

> What's the reasoning behind putting -DINET6 into the default
> compiler options of the generic Makefile ?

I believe the sole reason is that the author of the patch didn't know
how to get it into pyconfig.h. itojun recently confirmed that all uses
of the INET6 can be replaced with ENABLE_IPV6, and that the define may
go away.

I hesitate to change that, though, since some of the IPv6
implementations *may* require that INET6 is defined when processing
the "system" headers (not all IPv6 implementations we support actually
come with the operating system).

> I'm just asking because such a define will be inherited by
> all extensions being compiled with distutils and the Makefile.pre.in
> setup process... sounds like trouble if you ask me.

What kind of trouble?

> Shouldn't the define be placed into the pyconfig.h file or
> only in those extensions which need it ?

Wouldn't it cause the same trouble there?

Regards,
Martin