[Python-Dev] Integrating Expat

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 17:23:56 +0200

> I have mixed feelings.  There are really two things that we could
> do:  We could add Expat to our CVS repository, which means syncing a
> bunch of files everytime a new Expat release comes out

I thought MvL had already volunteered to do this?

>  > There are other candidates which would fit this role just
>  > as well (in particular, Fredrik's sgmlop looks like a nice
>  > extension since it not only works with XML but also many
>  > other meta languages).
>
>   See Martin's comments about this.  I think this precludes inclusion
> of sgmlop until the problems it has have been addressed in the
> implementation.

cannot fix bugs if nobody bothers to report them ;-)

(the crash issue appears to be a rumour; there was a bug when
running in SGML mode, but that was fixed long ago.  people using
the current release in real-life applications haven't reported any
stability problems...)

on the other hand, sgmlop itself will never be anything but a "fast
but sloppy" XML tokenizer.  if you risk running into xml compliance
nazis <0.1 wink>, you shouldn't use it.

</F>