[Python-Dev] Integrating Expat

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:08:00 -0500

    mal> I think that the sgmlop design is sufficiently simple and easy to
    mal> extend to make it a good candidate for inclusion. Sure, we'll get
    mal> bug reports, but why not add sgmlop marked as experimental to the
    mal> core in order to get it stabilized and bug-fixed ?!

I would be happy to sgmlop added to the core.  The xmlrpclib encoding and
decoding do need some sort of C-based acceleration to be usable:

    % python testxmlrpc.py
    testing with xmlrpclib 0.9.8
    using FastParser
    415 dumps per second
    106 loads per second
    disabling fast parsers in xmlrpclib
    using SlowParser
    412 dumps per second
    16.1 loads per second

FWIW, the xmlrpclib delivered with Python is substantially slower dumping
data than the 0.9.x versions that have been around awhile, though its
decoding performance degrades less without sgmlop.  Compare the above with
this:

    % PYTHONPATH=~/misc/python/python2 python testxmlrpc.py
    testing with xmlrpclib 1.0b3
    using SgmlopParser
    229 dumps per second
    94.3 loads per second
    disabling fast parsers in xmlrpclib
    using ExpatParser
    231 dumps per second
    76.8 loads per second

I haven't had or taken the time to investigate the difference yet.

Skip