[Python-Dev] Need a way to test for 8-bit-or-unicode-string

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 20:21:29 +0200

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

>     M> Are you sure about the -1 ? Using abstract base classes seems
>     M> like a natural thing to do in an OO-language like Python while
>     M> the isinstance() hack would not allow you to use your own
>     M> UserList subclass for code which was written with sequences as
>     M> input.
>
> Yes, I'm sure: we need a PEP first.  Ideally it would answer some of
> the questions raised above, and it would lay out the class hierarchy.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough:

Of course we need a PEP for these names, their intended meaning
as object category abstraction and interface placeholder. Too late
for Python 2.2, but probably a nice project for 2.3.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH