[Python-Dev] threading bug?

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 20:51:19 +0200

[Apologies, I also asked this on c.l.p, but got no
answer so far. I have not too much time left before
I will be away for nearly 2 weeks]

I wonder if this is a bug. I'm running a deamon thread doing
some work in the background, and sometimes when Python exits
I get tracebacks like this:

Unhandled exception in thread:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python21\lib\threading.py", line 393, in __bootstrap
    self.__stop()
  File "c:\python21\lib\threading.py", line 399, in __stop
    self.__block.notifyAll()
  File "c:\python21\lib\threading.py", line 235, in notifyAll
    self.notify(len(self.__waiters))
  File "c:\python21\lib\threading.py", line 217, in notify
    me = currentThread()
TypeError: object of type 'None' is not callable

This traceback does not appear when I register an atexit
function to stop the thread.

Is this a bug? Aren't daemon threads supposed to clean up
themselves?

Thomas