[Python-Dev] imputil and modulefinder replacements

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Fri, 05 Oct 2001 15:13:44 -0400

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> "James C. Ahlstrom" wrote:
> > 3) Package import is not implemented in C, it is implemented
> >    by a Python module which is part of the standard library.
>
> Why ? I don't see a need for that and it would slow down
> package imports which are becoming increasingly popular as the
> Python code base grows.

Well, I looked at import.c and adding zip files with subdirectories
will be a mess.  The path searches would have to be extended to zip files.
Moving out the package code would be a great simplification.

Or maybe I am lazy.  It doesn't help that I don't really
understand packages.  Your point about efficiency is a good one
though, but I am not sure of the magnitude of the slow down.

Anyone else have an opinion?

JimA