[Python-Dev] RE: Painful death in debug build

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:01:22 -0400

[Martin v. Loewis]
> Configuring Python with --with-pydebug, I cannot get test_descr to
> crash on Linux, using the current CVS.

I believe that <wink>.  It's not dying with a memory fault, it's dying
because code in MS's debug libraries is proactively searching for memory
corruption, finding it, then deliberately causing a crash as its way of
spelling "hey! your program is insane".  I expect you'd need something like
Insure++ or efence to have a good chance of catching it on Linux.  Sooner or
later it will manifest as insane behavior in the release build -- this is
"wild store" stuff, like bad pointer arithmetic, or out-of-bounds array
indexing.  Resulting problems usually occur long after the bad store, and
can be symptom-free by luck (until you're doing a demo <0.9 wink>).