[Python-Dev] Need a way to test for 8-bit-or-unicode-string

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 09:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

[I know we've already reached agreement, but I feel the need to stick my
oar in.]

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     NS> Perhaps we could extend isinstance().  How about
>
>     NS>     isinstance(x, str, unicode)
>
>     NS> or
>
>     NS>     isinstance(x, (str, unicode))
>
>     NS> This is a common problem not limited to string types.  I often
>     NS> want to test if something is a tuple or a list for example.
>
> That's an interesting idea, but please use the former signature, not
> the latter.

Ewww, gross, spit spit spit.  ;-)

At least with the latter, you can do:

    stringtype = (str, unicode)
    isinstance(x, stringtype)

Hmmmm...  Or can you?
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.