[Python-Dev] imputil and modulefinder replacements

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 15:17:47 -0700

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 09:06:32AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > It seems noone cares about this. imputil is in the distribution,
> > but is it really 'official'?
>
> I want to care, but I'm already spread too thin.  I don't find
> 'imputil' particularly official -- but Greg Stein pushed hard to get
> it in the distribution.

Don't blame me :-)

I thought it was much better than ihooks, and a good number of people wanted
to see it in the distro.

I wrote imputil to solve some of my problems, and it was a great step
forward over the ihooks stuff. It was reasonably clean, very easy to extend,
and helped to clarify the existing import and package mechanisms (by virtue
of needing to replace them). Gordon picked up imputil and did a lot more
work with it than I ever did. At this point, if he says that iu4 is better
than imputil, then I'd be a mind to trust that :-) I'm just happy that my
imputil was able to show a way for even better improvements.

Personally, I don't have a particular attachment to preferring it over
Gordon's new iu4. iu4 probably needs a bit wider usage to see whether
*other* people can use it like Gordon :-), but it looks like he has
documented it quite well.

Cheers,
-g

--