[Python-Dev] imputil and modulefinder replacements

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 11:09:40 -0400

Gordon McMillan wrote:

> With Thomas's changes to PyImport_ImportModuleEx, this is
> largely taken care of (it gets routed through __import__). So
> with the above bootstrap code, C code will import from my
> .pyz as well.

I am not sure if you are saying that code already exists to
import from zip archives, or that iu4.py should be used as
the basis.

I think the best approach is for me to write up a PEP based
on the discussions so far, and let everyone criticize.  The
proposal is only to import from zip archives, not
whether to replace imputil.py with iu4.py.

I will submit a PEP after I write some code.  I often find
that my initial design is poor once I implement it.  So
expect the PEP in a week or so.  This won't make it into
2.2, so there is no rush, right?

Jim