[Python-Dev] profiler hooks

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:15:53 -0400

  For those who aren't already aware of it, I've been working on a new
profiler for Python, implemented in C.  It includes features that will
allow per-line profiling if desired.  I should have the implementation
checked in shortly.
  One thing that I'd like to change is the way the profiler/tracer are
dispatched from the main eval loop.  The changes are easy enough, but
I can simplify things further if we don't need to support both a
profiler and tracer simultaneously.  (The trace hook is used by
sys.settrace(), needed for the debugger and 3rd-party coverage tools;
the profile hook is used for (you guessed it!) the profiler, via
sys.setprofile().)
  Would anyone object to working things so that only one of the two
can be installed at a time?  They can both operate, but it doesn't
make sense to use the trace hook while a profiler is active.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation