[Python-Dev] Re: python2.1.1 SEGV in GC on Solaris 2.7

Fri, 19 Oct 2001 01:11:20 +1000

>>> Neil Schemenauer wrote
> [I'm moving the discussion here from SF, using the tracker is too
> painful.]

ok. please CC me on any replies. =

current update - I applied the PyFrame_BlockSetup() fix for ceval.c
that Martin suggested, and so far I've had 4 processes running for
a couple of hours each, without any splattage. this doesn't necessarily
mean it's fixed - the time between failures has varied from 5 minutes to
12 hours over the last few days.

> The ob_type pointer must be getting cleared after the object has been
> added to the GC lists.  The PyObject_IS_GC call in _PyGC_Insert would
> have segfaulted otherwise.  Knowing the type of the object would be
> helpful in debugging the problem.  I suggest reconsidering Martin's
> printf idea.  You could add something like this to _PyGC_Insert:

I'll have a poke at this tomorrow, and see if it's possible at all -
the problem is that the boxes are part of a zope cluster that gets =

a _lot_ of hits (something over 1m/day) so that's a lot of objects...

I'm also going to have another go at getting purify to work on our
stripped down production servers.
         =

> Debugging this type of problem is really hard (as you already know)
> because the effect of the bug is found so far away from the source.

*nod* I'm aware of it. =

thanks!
Anthony

-- =