[Python-Dev] Fixing send()

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:13:44 -0400

> > I've got a possible patch for the send() problem.  I'd like review of
> > the patch and the related issues before I apply it.  I'd also like
> > more guidance regarding the suitability of this patch for the 2.1.2
> > bugfix release.  (It fixes a real bug, but can sometime lead to
> > different behavior, and adds a new interpretation of the absence of an
> > optional argument, which can be considered a feature.)

> It's a tough decision, because this really _is_ the cleaner solution,
> but it does stand a slight chance of breaking code, and it's also something
> that can be worked around in the std library. At the moment I'm planning to
> just fix the std library modules instead - as these are definitely broken.
> The added functionality of python's send() is very useful, but it's a
> feature, not a bug :)
>
> Anthony

After ample discussion, the PythonLabs crew didn't think my patch
would be safe enough -- see the SF tracker entry for a full
discussion.

Instead, we decided to fix the standard library to always check the
return value of send().  Can you help?  (If you check in a fix to the
2.1 maintenance branch, you can mark it as "propagate to trunk please".)