[Python-Dev] Adding DB modules to the core ? (Re: Future of SSL)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:54:22 -0500

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >
> > (Note that, alas, the DB-API never made it this far -- we still
> > haven't been able to find the time to do the tedious work of moving
> > the various database adapters in the core distribution. :-( )
>
> Do you really think that this would be the right approach ?
> Sounds like code bloat to me...

It depends.  This is definitely a frequently requested feature, and
that's what I go by...  Plus, I know that the various DB packages
(mxODBC notwithstanding :-) are of, eh, varying quality.

> BTW, I'm still waiting for one of the PSF sponsors to create
> the mythical Sumo distribution of Python. Any news in that
> direction ?

I don't recall either of the sponsors promising, although I would say
that ActivePython might be a good start.

I remember one of the regular members promising this, but apparently
his fork was larger than his mouth (as we say in Holland).