[Python-Dev] Dict API refinements (was PEP 274)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:27:32 -0500

> BTW, and not meaning to hijack your PEP <wink>, should dict.update() accept
> such an argument too?  I didn't add it because
>
>     d.update(dictionary(such_an_argument))
>
> seemed "almost good enough".

Agreed; no need to add this to update().

> BTW2, are we going to rename "dictionary" to "dict" before 2.2b2?
> Before 2.2, "dict" was universally used on c.l.py to mean
> dictionary, and I'm at least +0 on adopting that for official 2.2
> use.

Sounds good to me.  Should we adopt "dict" as an alias and keep
"dictionary" as the official name, or vice versa, or simply eradicate
dictionary and introduce dict in 2.2b2?

It's up to you to implement this, I have some other things I need to
get done first.