[Python-Dev] -Dwarn, long->double overflow (was RE: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Misc NEWS,1.219,1.220)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:02:38 +0200

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 10:22:54AM -0700, Greg Stein wrote:

> sys.startoptions would be a generalized way to pass parameters into
> subsystems which otherwise have no control of the command line. (Apache 2.0
> uses this to pass params to the modules which handle request processing)  By
> using sys.startoptions, it would also be portable to systems which don't
> usually use a command line (Windows, Mac, GUIs, etc); they could potentially
> get those options from the registry or whatever.

I'm not sure this is really that useful. In my experience, by far the most
common way to execute python is as a script handler, where the -D mechanism
is close to useless (if you want to pass such fairly static options into the
script, you might as well hardcode them several lines lower.) Contrary to
Apache, Python itself isn't often started directly.

As for scripts themselves, they all do their own optionparsing anyway (or
should.)

Back-from-vacation-and-*almost*--caught-up-with-email-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>