[Python-Dev] -Dwarn, long->double overflow (was RE: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Misc NEWS,1.219,1.220)

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:21:45 -0400

> Well, sure, but that says naught about not using the same *option*,
> just about not using the same framework :) It shouldn't be too hard
> to specialcase, say, -Wdiv. (or '-Wodiv' or '-Wtdiv', or whichever.)

Cute, but worries me a bit because normally -W options aren't
syntax-checked at all by the command line processing code -- only by
the warnings module (because the syntax is too complex).  And this
means that you don't get a warning about a bogus option at all if no
warnings are ever issued.  This would mean that a misspelling of -Wdiv
would cause mysterious silence.

Command line options aren't in such short demand that I can't pick a
new letter.