[Python-Dev] 2.2a3 oddities

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@effbot.org
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 21:50:17 +0200

anyone else seeing this?

1) using a local windows build, I keep getting complaints
about a missing symbol in the python22.dll:

    _PyGC_Insert

an easy way to get this is to import the "xmlrpclib" module
into a clean interpreter.

(fwiw, this doesn't stop Python -- once you click OK, the
interpreter proceeds as if nothing happened...)

2) most C functions that expect 8-bit strings crash if you
hand them a unicode string containing non-ascii characters.

an example:

>>> import socket
>>> socket.gethostbyname(u"pyth=F6nware.com")

this works as expected in 2.1.1 (that is, I get an exception).
it doesn't work in a local build of 2.2a2.

</F>