[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/nondist/sandbox/Lib README,NONE,1.1 davlib.py,NONE,1.1 httpx.py,NONE,1.1

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:34:39 -0400 (EDT)

There's a third possibility, too.  It might not be necessary to
mention, because I think it's a typical case.  It's good to be sure
that everyone considers it, though.

I think it's best if a module can be developed as a standalone module,
first, and incorporated into the standard library after its matured.
It's not unusual for substantial user experience to influence the
design and implementation of the module.  So it's better to wait until
after that experience has been achieved to include it in the standard
library.

A few examples come to mind.  I'm sure there are others: asyncore &
asynchat, unittest, and xmlrpclib.

One possible result of that user experience is that the module isn't
right.  The problem needs to be solved in a different way, or there
are very few people who use the module.  In those cases, we're not
saddled with a module that we don't want.

One example here might by linuxaudiodev.  After using this module and
doing some maintenance, I'd prefer to see a pure Python version that
provided a clearer API to the OSS interface.  And the name is bad, too
:-).  It works on platforms other than Linux.

I don't object to using the sandbox, particularly if other resources
aren't available.  But I'd also be happy to have new modules developed
in their own homes.

Jeremy