[Python-Dev] Parametrized codecs

Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:47:44 -0400

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 04:31:31PM -0400, Gordon McMillan wrote:
>RC4, maybe. But I think you're asking for trouble in trying to
>pretend a block-mode cipher is a stream.

Dunno, but we'll hash that out on the python-crypto list.  For now I
just wanted to know if parametrized codecs would be an inherently bad
idea.

(Two ways of handling this would be requiring all write() calls to use
a multiple of the block size, or reporting an error on the close() if
you haven't written out an even number of blocks.  I have no idea
which is preferable; not sure I like either of them...)

--amk