[Python-Dev] Re: test_string, test_unicode fail

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:32:51 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Today, test_string and test_unicode have started to fail.  I'm
> suspicious that this is the result of changes Marc-Andre checked in to
> make unicode() behave more like str().
>
> A little investigation (not that the string test suite makes this easy
> :-( ) shows that line 133 of string_tests.py checks to make sure that
>
>     '.'.join('a', u'b', 3)
>
> raise an exception.  But it now silently casts the 3 to u'3', so the
> result is u'a.b.3'.

Oops. I forgot to run test_string.py -- I did run test_unicode.py
and it passes; could be that I need to update the output of that
test.

Sorry.

> Is this really an good idea?  Was it an intended side effect?

The intention is to make str() and unicode() behave in the same
way. It is not a side-effect. unicode() now behaves in the same
way as str() always did.

> Also, Marc-Andre, please run the full test suite and check its results
> before checking in changes like this.

Ok.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg