[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Python ceval.c,2.276,2.277

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:25:55 -0400

[Thomas Wouters]
>> This fixes SF bugs #463359 and #462937, and possibly other,
>> *very* obscure bugs with very deeply nested loops that continue
>> the loop and then break out of it or raise an exception.

[Thomas Wouters]
> One thing I didn't do yet was make a test case out of this.
> Should I,

Absolutely.

> and if so, where should I put it ?

In a test_xxx.py file under Lib/test/, except for test_descr.py <wink>.
That is, pick one where it doesn't obviously not fit, e.g. test_grammar.py.

> BTW, this bug is living proof of Karma. I fix an insignificant little
> bug, Guido goes ahead and mentions it on the Python conference opening
> keynote with something like "thomas fixed what I couldn't", and presto,
> it ends up being a broken fix all along! :)

Another possibility is that Guido got so honked about you fixing something
he couldn't, that he used the time machine to make it appear that you had
always been swapping the arguments "by mistake".  We've all suspected
chicanery of this nature, right?

> Back-to-safe-obscurity-ly y'rs,

No no!  Code more!  I like your code, and it's done Python good.  All
obscurity will buy you is time enough to contract venereal diseases.