[Python-Dev] imputil and modulefinder replacements

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:40:03 -0400

Dev-er's

After numerous false-starts and dead-ends, I've come up with
two modules that do what imputil and modulefinder do, but
better.

Code and detailed descriptions are available here:

http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/importhooks.html

I would like to propose these (or something quite like them) as
replacements for the official versions. The code is quite similar
(in fact, the modulefinder code could have been written by
subclassing the imputil stuff, but I wrote them the other way
'round).

If the charter of the Import-SIG is not as dead as the list is, I
would promote the basic structure as a potential model for a
reformed import.

For now, though, it's enough to consider the code. The
differences are too extreme to consider these patches, but the
subject hardly seems PEPable so I bring it up here.

- Gordon