[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 279

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:50:32 -0500

[Raymond Hettinger]
> Okay, here's what we have so far:
>
> iterindexed()-- five syllables is a mouthfull
> index()      -- nice verb but could be confused the .index() method
> indexed()    -- widely liked however adjectives should be avoided
> count()      -- direct and explicit but often used in other contexts
> itercount()  -- direct, explicit and hated by more than one person
> enumerate()  -- a contender but doesn't mention iteration or indices
> iteritems()  -- already used by dictionaries for key:value pairs

Since Guido is sticking to bool() for his current PEP, I guess that leaves
truth() open for this <wink>.

iotazip() is a natural for those with both APL and Haskell backgrounds, and
sounds way cool if you're burned out.

ordinalize() is an even clumsier way to say enumerate().

poll() would confuse everyone almost equally.

countoff() brings to mind a common isomorphic procedure in American schools
("One!", "Two!", "Three!", ...).  I kinda like it, although
zerobasedcountoff() may be more appropriate here <wink>.

rollcall() is cute.

paginate() is descriptive for one specific application.

If indexed() is disliked just because it's an adjective, Google finds only
one hit for indicify().  indexify() gets 103.

I'm amazed that Marc-Andre's irange() isn't already in the list (it's part
of his mxTools Python extension).