[Python-Dev] Moving forward on the object memory API

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
01 Apr 2002 17:25:35 +0200

Neil Schemenauer <nas@python.ca> writes:

> > No, it's for the binary API.  There's a test in Py_InitModule() that
> > checks whether a dynamically loaded extension uses the same API as the
> > core, and that's definitely a binary compatibility issue.
>
> I was under the impression that the binary API changes in every minor
> release.

(By minor, you mean the y in x.y.z?) On Windows, yes - the DLL name
changes, causing problems for old extensions.

On Unix, not necessarily - atleast not in incompatible ways.  I think
the API didn't change between 1.6 and 2.0 (see Include/modsupport.h);
I'm not sure whether 2.3 will see an API change.

Regards,
Martin