[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 279

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 00:46:46 -0500

[Raymond Hettinger]
> Summary, I think we're down to subtle differences and have the following
> preference order:
> 1.  enumerate
> 2.  countoff
> 3.  indexed
> 4.  itercount

No, no, no.  That's not the Python Way.  These aren't subtle differences,
"enumerate" is the correct choice and all the others are plain *stupid*.
TOOWTDI!  Once you embrace the blinding obviousness of that, you'll have no
trouble at all understanding why extending generators meets with so much
otherwise inexplicable resistance <wink>.

> OTOH, no one has ever accused me of having good taste <wink>

You're in danger of them starting to, provided Guido picks enumerate.  Then
people will remember that you channeled him successfully.  But if he doesn't
pick enumerate, all they'll remember is that you ran around half insane,
accusing everyone who didn't vote for the loser "enumerate" of trying to
destroy Python.  This is a very delicate time in your Python Career.

doubting-anyone-will-get-much-sleep-tonight-ly y'rs  - tim