[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 279

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 11:19:14 -0500

> > 0. itemize
> > 1. enumerate
>
> After the conversation on names, are you ready to choose between
> enumerate(), enum(), and itemize()?
>
> enumerate -- I like this one best because it does what it says.  Liked by
> most of the py-dev respondants.

This one gets my vote.

> enum --  I like this one too.  A tiny bit of clarity traded for pithiness
> (like dict vs dictionary).  Must rhyme with 'doom', not with 'dumb' <grin>.

Too similar to enum in tons of other languages.

> itemize -- Could be confusing since amap.items() != list(itemize(amap)).
> Unfortunate association with income taxes :(

I hear this over and over so I give up on it.

IOW, enumerate() it is.  When you send Barry your update to the PEP
reflecting this, he can mark it Accepted.

(I still find it strange to mark a PEP Accepted that has two parts,
only one of which is accepted.  But so be it.  Next time be sure to
make separate PEPs.)