[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 10:44:01 -0600 (CST)

Andrew Koenig wrote:
> I mean that the language doesn't prefer a single way,
> as opposed to programmers' conventions.

This doesn't mean anything in practice.  Every yes/no function
i've encountered returns 1 for yes and 0 for no.  (If it returns
something else, then it really has more to say than yes or no.)

In fact the language actually does prefer a particular way,
since x == x returns 1.

The addition of another type really does change the set of preferred
truth values from {0, 1} to {0, False, 1, True}.  The typical practicing
Python programmer who wants to say "true" would have to decide -- for
each instance -- whether to say "1" or "True".

And the programmer cannot happily ignore the issue and stick to using
0 and 1, because if comparisons start to return True and False, dealing
with a mix of four truth values is unavoidable.  This PEP makes me uneasy
because it causes me to see lots of extra casts in Python's future (not
to mention confused beginners).

-- ?!ng