[Python-Dev] ACCEPTED: PEP 285

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 15:37:55 -0800

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > > Despite the negative feedback, I've decided to accept the PEP.  The
> > > most important perceived problem is that newbies tend to write
> > >
> > >     if x == True: ...
> > >
> > > where they should write
> > >
> > >     if x: ...
> > >
> > > I believe this problem should be solved by education (the Zen master
> > > hits the student on the head with a stick, and the student gets
> > > enlightenment) rather than by holding back what I believe will be a
> > > useful feature.
> >
> > Would it not be "relatively" easy to add a compiler-time warning for
> > most uses of this dangerous idiom?
>
> I think this would be a job for PyChecker.  Neal?

Neal just posted that PyChecker deals with it, which is great, but I
don't think that PyChecker is enough - until PyChecker is part of the
standard distribution and integrated with e.g. the interactive shell, I
think that PyChecker is not likely to be used by novices.  And we're
talking about novices here, right?

Come to think of it, getting PyChecker integrated w/ the interactive
shell would be great!  Hard, I suspect, but great!

--david