[Python-Dev] PEP 287: reStructuredText Standard Docstring Format

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:18:40 -0500

Jeremy Hylton writes:
> I believe that reST is a good structured text design, and I think it
> would be good to use it, e.g., to replace Zope's StructuredText.

Why does the community need a new structured text design? What is
wrong with existing markup methodologies? The PEP didn't answer these
with any cogent examples, IMHO.

The only rationale that I saw was existing use: the people that
already make use of it find it natural, and everyone else has to learn
it.

Sr. Computational Linguist                         http://www.basistech.com