[Python-Dev] big performance hit in the past few days

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 21:58:19 -0500

[Skip Montanaro, on a recent gross slowdown]
> Any thoughts on the possible cause?

Nope.  Barry hasn't checked anything in lately <wink>.

> It's tough to casually suggest a particular culprit because the bool()
> stuff touched a lot of files.  I can't simply identify a few files that
> changed in the past few days.  I count 66 .c[ch] files new or updated
> since mid-afternoon April 1.

Do you know about the -D option to cvs update?  It's a kind of time machine;
you can update to the code as it existed at any specified time (like, say,
one minute before mid-afternoon April 1).  Alas, unlike Guido's time
machine, it's sticky.

I'm not sure I'm seeing a slowdown on Windows (it's *really* hard to time
stuff on my Win98 home box), so maybe that's a clue too (but quite possibly
a bogus clue).