[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 279

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 17:05:14 +1200 (NZST)

Raymond Hettinger <python@rcn.com>:

> enumerate -- I like this one best because it does what it says.

But it doesn't. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary,
enumerate means either "to ascertain the number of : COUNT"
or "to specify one after another : LIST".

The first is what len() does, and the second doesn't require
doing anything. Neither of these is what we want.

I notice that "numerate" is listed in the thesaurus as a
synonym for "enumerate". Maybe it could serve as a compromise
between "enumerate" and "number"?