[Python-Dev] Python sidebar for Mozilla/Netscape

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 11:32:36 -0500

Disclaimer: IANAL

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>> I have a version that allows searching the docs by utilizing
>>> google.com, but unfortunately google license prohibits querying
>>> google from a program :(
>>
>> Is that so ?
>
> I think it is.  Read http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html

Now that I've read the entire thing, I have to agree that it's stricter
than the little snippet posted earlier...

>> If yes, then we'll have to remove scripts/google.py from
>> the Python distro.
>
> I don't think so -- the google.py code doesn't read the Google output,
> it tells your browser to read it.  Big difference.  (urlopen(), on the
> other hand, would be a no-no.)

...but I disagree with your assertion about urlopen() -- as long as the
output gets rendered directly by a browser-like interface for on-line
interactive human use, I believe there's no contravention of the ToS.
(If your assertion were correct, one wouldn't be able to write a browser
in Python. ;-)
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker