[Python-Dev] Pymalloc and backward compatibility

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:25:48 -0500

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Aahz:
>>
>> Why can't you realistically desupport pre-2.0?
>
> Because 1.5.2 is still most commonly found as the default Python, like
> it or not.  I don't care for 1.4, but 1.5.2 support is a MUST.

<scratch head>  I must be missing something here.  We're not talking
about an end-user product, we're talking about a developer tool.  What's
wrong with requiring a Python download for someone who at this point
wants to *upgrade* vim from the system default?

The default Python for Mandrake 8.1 (*not* the most current version), for
example, is Python 2.1.1.  I don't think Python 1.5.2 is the default
Python for anything other than Red Hat at the moment, and even if I'm
wrong about that now, it certainly will be true by the time any new
version of vim becomes an installed default.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker