[Python-Dev] Deprecating string exceptions

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:35:18 -0500

    GvR> There was some discussion that concluded that it was a useful
    GvR> feature (e.g. because the Exception class defines a standard
    GvR> signature and some standard attributes)

But most of the (early) built-in exception interfaces were chosen for
backwards compatibility with the old string-based standard exceptions,
so I'm not sure how useful they are as a specification.
E.g. Exception.__init__() essentially takes a *args and assigns the
tuple to exc.args, and that's about it.  Maybe in a perfect world
that's still a useful signature, I don't know.

-Barry